Wednesday 7 August 2013

Mini Film Reviews - Red 2, Only God Forgives, The Conjuring & The World's End


As I'm often in Cineworld with my film card or watching Lovefilm, I thought I'd start reviewing them... here goes...

Red 2 - 7 out of 10

They’re back! Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich were my faves in this. Helen rocks – only she could look cool firing pistols in a fur coat (fake, I hope!). I loved the first film and this one was just as much fun, although I think Red has the edge. Anthony Hopkins was great as usual (funny cow scene). Byung-hun Lee was good too – some great stunts while he always looked cool and classic in his suits, as though he’d just stepped out of a magazine. So, fun, jokes, lovable actors/actresses, good stunts, action... and, really, I wouldn’t have cared what the storyline was as I like the players so much.

Only God Forgives - 1 out of 10

To be honest I haven’t yet forgiven the director or writer for wasting so much of my day. This film sucked my will to live, and I left the cinema feeling drained and empty. Style for style’s sake with no substance. Hollow and uninteresting characters that had as much life as a piece of cardboard. A film that tried too hard to look good in an arty way, but lacked any heart, depth or meaning. I thought about leaving after 15 minutes and later I wished I had. Several people walked out. Pointless. Boring. There are many better films of this genre.

The Conjuring - 8 out of 10

Two professional ghost hunters are asked to investigate a haunting by a terrified mother. This was better than I thought it would be and one of the spookiest movies I’ve seen in ages. I liked Dead Silence and Saw, so I was hoping for something good and I got it. It’s atmospheric, and there are some great sequences that lay suspense on top of suspense and eerie on top of eerie, and build up to scary very effectively. At one point I jumped and said “Oooh, that was horrible!” Can’t remember the last time I did that. Later, my friend hugged me cos she was scared. So, good direction, atmospheric, spooky, interesting story, good acting and not your usual predictable stuff. Yay!

The World’s End - 9 out of 10

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are back, and they’re so ruddy welcome. I giggled by arse off through Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and was more than happy to do it again. In this outing, Pegg’s character is unsatisfied with life and nostalgic for his past – he’s determined to take his former mates on a trip to finish the infamous pub crawl they failed to complete many years ago... ending up at The World’s End. My favourite scenes included Pegg trying to drink his pint, and Nick with his “I hate this town” line and what followed. So, fun and games, nostalgia, lots of British humour, aliens, growing pains and giggles galore. Left the cinema with a big smile on my face – what more can you ask for? Oh, yes, more films please, Mr Pegg! 


1 comment:

  1. Well, you can certainly laugh your arse off with The World's End, but I wish it was more serious if it is trying to blend different genres. Otherwise, all this sci-fi alien stuff is sort of irrelevant. Or, alternatively, it could end with a comedy twist as well, like the guys getting really drunk and waking up to realize that this aliens part was just a hallucination, something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)