Wednesday 18 January 2012

GREAT INDIE READS BLOG HOP - words with... Pandora Poikilos




PART OF THE GREAT INDIE READS BLOG HOP


Thanks to Pandora Poikilos for this interview
What is your day job or are you lucky enough to write for a living?
I’m lucky enough to write for a living. In my spare time I work on Orangeberry Book Tours and promote other authors. 

What books have you written so far? 
I have written quite a few. Two novels (Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out and Frequent Traveller) and two short stories have been published. 

What works in progress do you have?
More novels. I Am Not You will be published in April 2012, and another Cathy Dixon novel in November 2012.

How long did it take you to write your book/s?
Sometimes two months, sometimes more.

Do you write linear, or jump back and forth? Do you plan or write by the seat of your pants?
Linear and I plan. Unfortunately (sometimes) and fortunately for other times, I’m pedantic that way. I tend to have my chapters and plots all drafted out before I sit down to write.

Why do you write?
Because it’s the only time I am comfortable with myself.

How long have you been writing?
Decades. My first published article appeared in a local paper when I was 13. I’m 36 this year – you do the math.

Where and when do you write? ­ Do you have set times?
Yes, usually at night, and I stay away from phone calls and distractions.

Which character from your books do you like most / are most like?
I’m a little bit of each of them I guess. Every time I write, a piece of me goes into the book.

What / who inspired you to write and still inspires you?
My other half, Peas, as he is known to my readers. I have a rare neurological disorder, which doesn't leave me with the best eyesight. On some days, he’s had to type up my notes for me.

What do you think is the ideal recipe for a good novel or story?
There is a lot of hype about ‘good’ editing and formatting when it comes to ebooks, and I think these are essential ingredients for a good novel. But what is more important is the writer’s ability to reach out to his/her readers. Be it content, plot or writing style, there must be something the reader can take away.

Have you ever based a character on someone from real life?
Yes, the Cathy Dixon series is based on incidences I have seen or heard of from my years of working as a hotelier.

Fave things: animal? food? drink? film? colour? band? song? holiday? book?
Dogs. Cereal. Red Wine. Baby blue. Beatles. Pearl Harbour Sucks. Island. Great Expectations. 

You’re walking in the forest and you bump into an alien librarian from Mars. He wants five book recommendations from you…
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
False Impression by Jeffrey Archer
Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

Who is your favourite character from any book and why?
Pip from Great Expectations. His view of the world changes as he grows up and I often find that picking up this book at different stages of my life provides a different interpretation of the story as well.

Who is your hero / heroine from real life?
Steve Jobs.

Which book do you wish you had written?
Little Women. 

Which three authors would you like to take to the pub?
Salman Rushdie, Tom Clancy and Nora Roberts.

Are you published or self-published? What is your experience?
I have been traditionally published and I do self-publish my work. At this age and time, things are changing very fast and it is sometimes hard to keep up. While being traditionally published offers you support in some ways, self-publishing provides flexibility.

How do you find the marketing experience? Any advice for other writers?
It can be challenging at times. I had both my novels appear in Amazon’s Top 100 over Christmas. It wasn’t easy, but it was worth it. Consistency is necessary, but it is also important to do what works for you and your book. So many times, authors do something because someone else has done it and this can work, but it is essential to stand out for what you have done.

Do you have a blog? What do you blog about?
Yes, my blog is Peace from Pieces.  It’s a compilation of all things inspiring, books, poems and authors from Orangeberry Book Tours. 
http://peacefrompieces.blogspot.com/

What other hobbies do you have?
Music and people watching.

What would you like to achieve in the next five years?
More time with family, a permanent address and my own in-house library.

 If you won the Lotto, what would you do with that money?
Buy a house, build a library, start a family. Not necessarily in that order.

What is the craziest thing or best thing you ever got for Christmas?
Craziest thing would be an empty box because the person forgot to put the gift inside. Crazy in a funny way, of course. Best thing is family at Christmas.

Just for fun, complete this story in 100 words or less…
 
It was the night before Christmas and Santa was loading his sleigh…
Everything seemed like how it always was until he realised he was one bag short. What would he do? There weren’t enough toys. Would the elves be able to finish a whole new bag of toys in time for Christmas morning? Santa feared the worst until he heard a giggle from behind a tree. Lo and behold, there stood little Angeline with a bag of toys.  She hurriedly sneaked a peek at the bag looking for her name. No one knew she had made it to Santa’s. “One peek, then I'll go home,” she thought just as she felt a hand grab her shoulder.


What question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer?
What's my twitter handle? I love to tweet and it's http://twitter.com/#!/PandoraPoikilos 
pandorapoikilos.com


http://bloghops.greatindiereads.com/ 

 

5 comments:

  1. Very nice interview. Thanks Vickie and Pandora!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Greta! Glad you enjoyed! I was thinking wow, Pandora's written a lot of books and it was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy author interviews like this. Fun questions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)