Tuesday 18 October 2011

Words with... Robbi Sommers Bryant























Thanks to Robbi Sommers Bryant for this interview
 


How long have you been writing?
Since 1987.

Do you have a day job or do you write for a living? 
My main money source was dental hygiene for many years. Now, I just write.

What do you feel is the ideal recipe for a good novel/story/poem?
Talent, imagination and good connections. Lol.

What/who inspired you to write and still inspires you?
My greatest inspirations: Joyce Carol Oates, Sarah Sculman and Jeanette Wintersen.

What books have you written? Do you stick to one genre?
I have written many collections of short stories, 4 novels, non-fiction for magazines and a poetry collection. I was a best-selling erotic writer for women for 10 years.

How long did it take you to write your book/s?
Approximately 2 years.

How long did it take you to get published? Did you take the traditional route or DIY?
My work from 1987-97 was traditionally published and I had offers immediately. After the death of my 21-year-old son, Justin, I stopped writing for 13 years. The Beautiful Evil, my first novel since the death of my son is self-published through Createspace.

Do you have any works in progress?
Yes, I've pulled out an old manuscript that needs... I'd say, a year of rewrites.
 
Which character from your books do you like most/are most like?
Can’t say. I suppose I'm most like Rose in The Beautiful Evil.

Where and when do you write – do you have set times during which you write or is it just when the mood takes you?
I sit down every morning at 5:15 and write, whether it’s twitter, email etc. When writing a novel, I usually don’t look up til 7pm.

Marketing – the bane of self-publishers – how do you find the experience? Do you have any marketing advice for other writers? Do you use a blog or twitter, etc?
I use every bit of social media accessible to me (that I know about). I think the most sales come from one-on-one conversations with people I meet.

Some of your fave things...
Animal? I love my dogs and kitty, and would own a lion if they would domesticate a pinch more. I love the big cats.
Food? Trail mix with cashews, almonds, M&Ms, peanuts and raisins, but I have to keep it out of the house.
Film? Too many to mention.
Colour? Diamond! Lol. Lavender.
Band? The early Beatles.
Song? Hallelujah, written by Leonard Cohen.

Which book do you wish you had written?
The Bible.

Who is your favourite character from any book and why?
Jude from the book Kiss Me, Judas. She's edgy, fearless and a force to be reckoned with.

Which three authors (living or not) would you like to take to the pub?
None. Dinner? Ram Das, Deepak Chopra, Anais Nin.

What other hobbies/interests do you have or has writing taken over?
Music, dancing, conversation, swimming or walking, reading and travel.

What would you like to achieve in the next five years?
A bestseller.

If you won the Lotto, what would you do with all it?
Pay off my house, and share the rest.

Now for the creative bit… please finish this story in 100 words or less…
There once was a small gecko called Fred … who took many lizards to bed. He sneaked out one night, which started a fight and now poor old Freddie is dead.

Finally, what question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer?
If you could get your fans to support you in one way what would it be?
Get another friend to buy my book.

Your book/website/blog/twitter links…
Twitter: @sweettalk29





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)