Wednesday 24 August 2011

Words with... Heather Powers




Thanks to Heather Powers for this interview


How long have you been writing?

I've been writing since I was 12 years old. My first writing medium was poetry and I still write to this day. I then started writing my first novel probably about 2004.

Do you have a day job or do you write for a living?

I have a day job. I'm an office drone. Book reviewer/aspiring writer by night.

What do you feel is the ideal recipe for a good novel/story/poem?

Character development; interesting plot line; twists and turns that make you think.

What/who inspired you to write and still inspires you?

My first inspiration was Stephen King and Tad Williams. Other great authors have stood out in my mind and inspired me daily. Nature, relationships, music all inspire me. It's constantly changing.

What books have you written? Do you stick to one genre?

I am working on my first novel and I know fantasy, so I prefer to write it. That may change with the wind :)

How long did it take you to write your book/s?

I'm currently working on it, but have no set deadline. I usually write about 1000 to 1500 words each time I sit down. I'm in the first draft on Chapter 13.

How long did it take you to get published? Did you take the traditional route or DIY?

Still unpublished, but I will be going the indie or self-published route.

What advice do you have for aspiring writers/those just starting out?

Keep your dream alive and work until you have it in your hands. Don't be discouraged. Write every day, even if it's only a sentence.

Do you have any works in progress?

Fantasy novel and possibly a book of my poetry.

Which character from your books do you like most/are most like?

My main character is Elizabeth Darrow and she has a lot of my traits. Perhaps she is my alter ego.

Where and when do you write – do you have set times during which you write or is it just when the mood takes you?

Usually in my living room and when the mood strikes me. Sometimes, when I'm driving, a sentence will occur to me and I write it down for later reference.

Marketing – the bane of self-publishers - how do you find the experience? Do you have any marketing advice for other writers? Do you use a blog or twitter, etc?

I find the experience just by networking with other authors who have done the same thing. I always ask questions. I use almost all of the social media sites.

Some of your fave things... Animal? Food? Drink? Film? Colour? Band? Song? Place to chill out?

Animals - I love them all, but the two that I have a spiritual connection are wolf and cat (domestic and wild).
Food - I love Italian food.
Drink - raspberry tea and Root beer.
Film - I love all of the John Hughes films and anything fantasy related.
Colour - blue and forest green.
Band - I have many favourites. I have a wide musical palette. My current favourites are Stevie Nicks, Death Cab for a Cutie, Eels, Enya and Loreena Mckennit.
Place to chill - anywhere in nature with my family.

One day you’re walking in the forest and you bump into an alien librarian from Mars. He wants five book recommendations from you…

The Stand by Stephen King
Otherland by Tad Williams
Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey
Wizard for Hire by Jim Butcher
Imajica by Clive Barker

Which book do you wish you had written?

I don't wish to write anything else except my own creations :) I wouldn't want to take credit for another person's masterpiece :)

Who is your favourite character from any book and why?

Any kick-ass heroine is my favourite because they can stand on their own two feet and kick ass :)

Which three authors (living or not) would you like to take to the pub?

Tad Williams, Richard Kadrey, Clive Barker.

What other hobbies/interests do you have or has writing taken over?

Books in general, reviewing and discussing. Singing. Spiritual/Metaphysical Studies

What would you like to achieve in the next five years?

I would like a job that I love that is book related.

If you won the Lotto, what would you do with all it?

Trusts for my kids; a sprawling house in the country on about 10 acres with a stream behind it; donations to animal rehabilitation centres.

Now for the creative bit… please finish this story in 125 words or less…

There once was a little cat called Devilboy... He had a special gift that allowed him to travel into dreams. One day he took his friend Gyspygirl. This time, a large meadow appeared. A faery circle was in the middle. Now Devilboy warned her that if you went into the circle you wouldn't come back the same. Gyspygirl was very independent and didn't listen, so she walked right into the circle. 
Bells rang around her and a little faery appeared. “What is your wish?”
“I want to be able to have freedom to go where I want to.”
The fairy winked and Gyspygirl was turned into a fairy with beautiful wings. Devilboy walked to the edge of the circle and said “I told you so, you should have listened.”

Finally, what question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer?

What is the secret of the universe???? 31.

Your book/website/blog/twitter links…










3 comments:

  1. Great interview...good luck with the fantasy novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview! Congratulations. I am a new follower from book blogs and would love to invite you for a visit/follow to my blog. Look forward to following you. Donna

    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks for the opportunity to share an interview with you:)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)